Under this category foreign nationals who have been offered a skilled job can be employed by a company which has a sponsor licence. In most scenarios you will need to show that this position cannot be filled by locally by a British or permanent resident in the UK.

You can apply for Entry Clearance from abroad if you have been offered a job in the UK, or alternatively in some limited scenarios, switch into the Tier 2 (General) category from within the UK.

You must meet a number of requirements to enter Tier 2 category, in general, to be eligible you will need to show the following:

  • A certificate of sponsorship
  • Minimum salary amount, known as an ‘appropriate salary’
  • Be able to demonstrate that youcan speak and understand English
  • Evidence that you can financially support yourself
  • Have been offered a graduate level job

Certificate of sponsorship (CoS) – This isn’t actually a physical certificate but a reference number that is given to your employer once they apply for it. This number will need to be submitted on your application form.

Appropriate salary – In order to qualify for Tier 2 (General) your employer must be offering you a job with a minimum salary of £20,500. There are exceptions to this and our lawyers can advise you on whether or not you fall into any of the exceptions.

English language – You must be able to demonstrate that you have a good knowledge of the English language. This can be evidenced by passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level B1 in reading, writing, listening and speaking. However, you may not have to take the English language test if you have an academic qualification that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree. If you are a national of a predominantly English speaking country you will not need to take the language test.


As a Tier 2 worker the Home Office allow your family members to reside in the UK alongside you. A dependant is a husband, wife or partner and a child under the age of 18 years old. As a Tier 2 dependant you are allowed to work in the UK, set up your own business or be self-employed however you can’t work in the UK as a doctor or dentist in training.

Call us now on 020 3131 0625 to see how we can help find the right solution for you.